What's in a Name?
Homeplace is a common term in Kentucky for the place you call home, but usually carries a deeper meaning than just the place you live. Your heart always longs to return to your homeplace. It's where you know every creek and trail intimately, because you have walked them so many times. The place you have watched grow as you too have grown. There is a timeless connection you share with this place. After visiting Kentucky and letting us show you the majesty of our homeplace, we know your heart will long to return as well.
Kentucky is brimming with natural beauty. It's so full of adventurous possibilities, framed on all sides by wild and unbridled landscapes, that we felt we needed to create a way to share it with anyone who doesn't feel comfortable or experienced enough to go out on their own.
At Homeplace we feel that exploring nature and overcoming our fears leads to a fuller and richer life. We also believe that adventure tourism allows us to link our community's economic needs to the health of our natural places. This, we believe, means we won't have to make a choice between our paychecks and the protection of our homeplace because they will be one and the same. We feel a deep responsibility to being a catalyst for sustainable economic development in Kentucky.
• We will not take, kill, or harass plants or animals on our trips.
• We will minimize the impacts of our activities.
• We will take only pictures and leave only footprints.
• Our meals will be primarily vegetarian.
• We will partner with organizations and businesses who are working to diversify Kentucky's economy in a just and equitable way.
• We will support any entrepreneurs who wish to participate in community-based adventure tourism.
• We will hire and contract with locals first.
• We will buy local products and gear first.
• We will always work with local communities to define what are and are not acceptable activities in their homeplace.
Giving Back to Community
• At least once a year we will:
~Have all staff volunteer with a local organization that is protecting our homeplace.
~Host a fundraiser for a local organization that is protecting our homeplace.